Elliott I. PinkieAttorney At Law
Elliott Pinkie represents a wide range of physicians, physician practice groups, nurses, hospitals, and medical clinics, in the defense of medical negligence claims. Elliott has represented clients in bench trials and jury trials and has tried several cases as solo, lead counsel to defense verdicts. He is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Indiana.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Medical Licensing and Credentialing
- Peer Review Disputes
- Premises and Products Liability
- General and Civil Litigation
- The Claude W. Pettit College of Law, Ohio Northern University (J.D., 2000)
- Ball State University (B.A., 1995)
Honors & Awards
- Profiled in the Indianapolis Stars Rising Star Business Section in 2009;
- Super Lawyers, 2012-2013; 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
- Defends physicians and other health care professionals in medical malpractice litigation, professional licensing and credentialing, and peer review.
- Defends retail establishments against claims of negligence and premises liability.
- Defends individuals and businesses in negligence actions involving serious bodily injury and significant property damage.
- Defends product manufacturers against product liability claims under Indiana’s Product Liability Act.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Elliott is a frequent author and presenter on topics such as civil practice and procedure, law practice management, liability defense issues, and medical malpractice. Some of his activity in speaking and publishing includes:
- Program Chair, 2019 Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI) Annual Conference, Bloomington, IN;
- Presenter: “Indiana Medical Malpractice Act Overview,” Indiana Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Fall Meeting, 2017.
- Presenter: ISHRM Summer Education Conference, Indianapolis, August 21, 2015; Patient Litigation and Considerations for Risk Managers, Working with Defense Counsel.
- Presenter: Indianapolis Bar Association, July 8, 2015; Attorneys or Acrobats: Strategies for Balancing Time and Due Process in Administrative Hearings.
- Presenter: Administrators in Medicine (AIM) Regional Meeting, Indianapolis, October 28-29, 2013; Attorneys or Acrobats: Strategies for Balancing Time and Due Process in Administrative Hearings.
- Co-Author: The Science of Opening Statements; with Bill Kanasky, Ph. D.; Indiana Lawyer, June 22, 2012; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Trial Tactics Section.
- Author: Legal Pitfalls and Evidence Considerations in Healthcare Provider Apologies; Indiana Lawyer, February 1, 2012; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Health Litigation Section.
- Author: A Refresher in Insurance Defense Client and Company Reporting; Indiana Lawyer, June 22, 2011; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Trial Tactics Section.
- Guest Speaker: Legal Considerations in Defense of Assisted Living and Long Term Care Facility Personal Injury Lawsuits, presented at Indiana Health Care Association (IHCA) 2011 Annual Convention & Expo, May 2011, Indiana Convention Center; and at 2012 Convention and Expo at Indiana Convention Center in April 2012.
- Guest Lecturer, Introduction to Civil Practice, presented March 2010 at Ohio Northern University, Pettit College of Law.
- Presenter, Ethical Billing Practices: Ask Right and You Shall Receive, Part II, Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) Law Practice Management Committee, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, November 2010.
- Presenter, Ethical Billing Practices: Ask Right and You Shall Receive, Part I, Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) Law Practice Management Committee, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, November 2009.
- Author, Subpoena Response Procedures: Determine Possible Objections. National Business Institute, 2006.
- Indiana State (ISBA) and Indianapolis Bar Associations.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI);
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI), Officer and Board of Directors, Chair of Legislative Committee;
- Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ISHRM), Officer and Board of Directors, Secretary 2016-2017, President-Elect 2018, President 2019.
Civic & Community Involvement
- Life Smart Youth, Inc., a Central Indiana United Way Agency, past President, currently serving on Board of Directors since 2007.